It’s mid-February in the Washington, DC region which means spring is nearly here! So it’s time to start thinking about what you’ll wear for spring family photos! Whether you’re taking photos with the cherry blossoms at the Tidal Basin or among the wisteria and tulips at the Bishop’s Garden at the National Cathedral, this guide will help you pick out the perfect outfit for every member of your family!
First and foremost, I want you to be comfortable. I want you to LOVE what you’re wearing and love how you feel in it! When you feel comfortable and confident in what you’re wearing, it shows in the photos.
Next, I want you to do the “Movement Test” on your outfits. Can everyone sit, stand and lay comfortably in their outfits? Moms: sadly, I don’t recommend high heels for my sessions. Short heels or heeled boots are totally fine. But leave the stilettos at home! There’s just too much fun to be had and heels slow us down!
Lastly, does your outfit flatter your natural body shape? Everyone (regardless of shape and size) has parts of their body that they’re not so fond of. Even super models! The key is knowing this in advance and keeping it in mind as you select your outfit. Be sure to choose something doesn’t draw attention to these areas. Look for flattering silhouettes and colors that complement your natural features. Pro-tip: long, flow dresses are super flattering on EVERYONE!
For spring family photos in the Washington, DC region, you’ll want to pick one of the following three color themes:
- Creamy colors – think: off-whites, light tans, and soft, reflective colors
- Earthy colors – think: browns, deep greens, tans, whites, off-whites
- Pastel colors – think: light pink, light blue, light purple, light green
All three of the above palettes will go best with blossoming trees and the bright greens of springtime in DC!
Pro-tip: Don’t be afraid of patterns + florals! Just be sure to mix the sizes of patterns. So if Dad wears a large checkered shirt, have sister wear a small floral pattern.
SPRING FAMILY PHOTO OUTFIT EXAMPLES
I’ve put together a few outfit ideas for each member of your family – WITH LINKS TO BUY! Hooray! Scroll down to see style examples (with color palettes!) for Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother, Baby Girl + Baby Boy.
- Scarlett Dress by Christie Dawn
- Kiko Dress by Nothing Fits But
- ASTR Jaxine Maxi Dress by Worth Collective
- Geri Maxi Dress by Worth Collective
- Monet V-Neck Midi Dress by Morning Lavender
- The Dawn Dress by Christie Dawn
- Helena Long Sleeve Floral Maxi Dress by Morning Lavender
- Kelsey Long Sleeve Dress by Morning Lavender
- Clo Puff Sleeve Midi Dress by Petal + Pup
- ASTR Prima Chiffon Maxi Dress by Worth Collective
Even more ideas for Mom on my Pinterest board here!
- Heritage Cotton Crewneck Sweater by J.Crew
- 770 Straight Fit Stretch Chino Pant by J.Crew
- Classic Fit Non-Stretch Everyday Oxford Shirt by Old Navy
- Slim Built-In Flex Rotation Chino Pants by Old Navy
- Crew Neck Raglan Sweater by Old Navy
Even more ideas for Dad on my Pinterest board here!
- Gauze Ruffle Long Sleeve Dress by Target
- Knit Chenille Sweater by H&M
- 2-piece Cotton Set by H&M
- 2-piece Cotton Set by H&M
- Flutter Sleeve Cross Back Dress by Target
Even more ideas for girls on my Pinterest board here!
- Colorblock Thermal Tee by Target
- Slim Fit Jeans by H&M
- Shawl Neck Sweater from Kohls
- Loose Fit Jeans by H&M
- 2-piece Polo Shirt and Shorts Set by H&M
Even more ideas for boys on my Pinterest board here!
- Denim Jacket by H&M
- Muslin Romper Set by H&M
- Cotton Strawberry Sweater by H&M
- Glittery Tulle Dress by H&M
- Pointelle-knit Cardigan by H&M
Even more ideas for baby girls on my Pinterest board here!
- 2-piece Sweatshirt Set by H&M
- Organic Cotton Jumpsuit by Carters
- Ginger Gingham Overalls by PureBaby
- Short Sleeve Romper by JCPenney
- Corduroy Overalls by H&M
Even more ideas for baby boys on my Pinterest board here!